The Snows of White Ridge continues an epic, as blessings, changes, and trials alike come to the newly-named White Ridge Pack, and their allies, the Swift River Clan.
The website of the Packs

HomeFAQSearchRegisterUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

Could use a little hope and a little help

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zeroki
TWRP Alpha
TWRP Alpha

Number of posts : 547
Registration date : 2007-08-07

PostSubject: Could use a little hope and a little help   Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:58 pm

Hey guys

My cat Ginny, stopped eating for awhile and after trying my best to get her to eat and her still not taking the food, I took her to the vet today. They were very kind and gracious to me, understanding my position of limited funds and even found a donor that is helping us.

They did an X-Ray and an ultrasound on her and found nothing of consequence. Right now they are figuring that she either had Inflammatory Bowel Syndrome or had cancer in her bowels and that they are inflamed. The only way to treat this is to get her to eat. They are going to try force feeding her and if that doesn't work, then they are going to use a feeding tube. We won't know much else for a bit and I'm welcome to visit her but the vet is so far away it's hard to get there for me, having no car and taking mass transit.

So I kinda need some help guys. I'm not a praying woman, I consider myself an agnostic-atheist. All I am asking is that those her that do pray can you please include my little girl in your prayers and even if you don't pray, can you keep her in your thoughts?

I'm hoping with every bit of me that she can make it through this. Ginny is my little girl, my sweetheart kitty, and my best friend so far. I don't want to lose her, I really don't. If it is cancer, I've decided that I don't want to put her through that.

So, I guess this is a request and a heads up at the same time. I may be pretty scarce for awhile if things go for the worse. I love my little girl, I really do, but I don't want her to hurt and be in pain.

And like I said, if you pray to your choice of god or deity, please include my little Ginny in your prayers. If you don't pray, all I can ask is that you keep her in your thoughts.

Thanks guys.

-Zeroki
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FireStormWarning
TWRP Alpha
TWRP Alpha

Number of posts : 930
Registration date : 2007-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Could use a little hope and a little help   Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:01 pm

Zero, have they checked on your kitty's liver? Our cat, Molly, exhibited similar problems, and it turned out her liver was a major contributor.

Also, make sure they're check her teeth and gums. Kitties who have problems with their teeth won't eat due to the pain. Smile

At any rate, I'll keep you, and her, in my thoughts and prayers. Let me know if you want somebody to talk live to. *is a good listener*

Keep us up to date!

TWRP Alpha
TWRP Alpha

PostSubject: Re: Could use a little hope and a little help   Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:09 pm

They checked her mouth and teeth, she is fine there. They did an xray and ultrasound and they didn't find anything wrong with her teeth.

The vet is aware of fatty liver disease and at this moment in time, they don't know what kind of damage had been done to her liver. Right now, they are working with the feeding because that is one of the biggest issues right at the moment. If she doesn't get food into her (I tried what I could there before we went in) If she doesn't eat, she will of course; die.

But like I said, this is only the first day. We'll see what tomorrow brings.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Meoquanee
Dedicated Saga Member
Dedicated Saga Member

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2009-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Could use a little hope and a little help   Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:28 pm

I'm so sorry to hear this, Zeroki D= I'll keep Ginny in my thoughts, and please keep us updated on her progress. Much love from Meo <3333.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeroki
TWRP Alpha
TWRP Alpha

PostSubject: Re: Could use a little hope and a little help   Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:55 pm

Progress:

Ginny is HOME!

She is still on her meds from the doctors office, and we have to force feed her every day until she starts eating again, but she is much more like her normal self, seeking attention, leaning into our touches, and she seems to take the force feeding rather well. I've already worked out a system of feeding her 3 times a day. Currently I am trying the little kitty on duck based wet food only and I am excluding all dry food from her current diet.

The doc says that they are hoping that this is an extreme case of inflammation associated with Irritable Bowel Disease (IBD) but it could be intestinal cancer. Right now, we are just treating her as if this is IBD and she seems to be doing well. She's hiding alot, but she still doesn't feel entirely 100% yet, so I can't blame her. (And we have blocked off any hiding places that we can't reach.)

Other than that, I was going to have a video or some photos up tonight, but I'm tired and I will upload those later.

Thanks for all the love and support through this, guys. I really do appreciate it.

-Zeroki
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HeavensGaze
Canis Familiaris
Canis Familiaris

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2007-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Could use a little hope and a little help   Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:43 pm

YAY!!!

I'm glad Ginny is home. Living with a very ill cat is tough, and I strongly empathize with you. My cat, Noelle, was diagnosed with kidney failure about a year ago, and for several months was not doing well. The vet eventually suspected that she may also have IBD, but since testing to confirm the diagnosis is expensive, I'll never know for sure (and I don't know if she would even live through the surgery). Thankfully, with a lot of love, and several hours a week for many months dedicating myself to caring for her just to make sure she would eat, she is doing better than the vet ever thought she would be doing (when her kidney failure was at its worst, I was told to prepare myself to let her go...and that was 8 months ago).

If it is IBD, a diet change should help quite a bit. Was Ginny vomiting or having problems with diarrhea? If she didn't have either of those symptoms, I would personally doubt IBD. Noelle had problems with vomiting, which I thought was more associated with the kidney failure (but when her kidneys got better, it's what made the vet suspect IBD).

I use a couple of holistic products for Noelle that have really done wonders for her. She has not had severe issue with vomiting for months (vomiting used to happen at least 1x per week, but usually 2-3x per week), and she hasn't vomited once for at least a couple of weeks. I get my products from an online company called Vitality Science. They will give you a free consultation to help you determine which products would be best for Ginny, and they aren't too expensive. Or you could just try some aloe vera juice...seriously, it works. I use George's aloe vera fillet juice (not whole leaf, I guess it isn't as good for cats as the fillet). If you do decide to try aloe vera juice, find a brand that doesn't contain artificial preservatives. George's is a good brand, and a big jug will cost you around $30, but it'll last for months (and you don't have to refridgerate George's brand). Another good brand is Lily of the Desert, but some of their juices include artificial preservatives, so specifically look for one that doesn't have any (it'll say on the bottle). At any rate, about 3 ml twice a day might really help Ginny if she has IBD, or if it's cancer, it could also have some healing effects. Just like aloe vera helps soothe burns on your skin, it'll have the same soothing effect on Ginny's digestive tract.

At any rate, I'm thrilled Ginny is home. Getting her back to normal may take a lot of time and patience, so don't be discouraged if you don't see quick results. As I said, I spent at least 6 months going up and down on a rollercoaster with Noelle before I found products that worked for her. Healing is a mysterious process...what works for one cat may not have the same effect on another, so don't be discouraged if something doesn't work. Ginny is lucky to have such a loving mom Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FaunaMyth
Dedicated Saga Member
Dedicated Saga Member

Number of posts : 364
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Could use a little hope and a little help   Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:20 am

I'm so sorry your kitty isn't feeling her best, Zero. I hope you find out what's wrong and can get it fixed. I'd offer advice if I had any, but our cat that passed away a few months ago was from old age more than anything else. I really do hope that she gets better, i'll keep her in my thoughts. Keep us updated, Zero, we are here for you. Smile /hugs/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeroki
TWRP Alpha
TWRP Alpha

PostSubject: Re: Could use a little hope and a little help   Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:01 am

Heavens: Ginny has always had problems with vomiting and sometimes diarrhea. For a long time, it got better but then only recently got worse. She had some blood in stool about 6 months after we got her. I took her to the cat vet near my house and they tested her for parasites, and had diagnosed that she had strained too hard to poop and had burst a capillary or something of those lines. Gave me some meds for her and sent us on our way. After that, she was fine for a long time until lately.

Our current vet is figuring IBD because of her age (4 years, still young) whereas cancer most times often shows up in older cats.

They have had her a limited allergen diet for a week now (Hills Science Diet Prescription, which I will not be feeding her because it still has rice in it) and her poop is much firmer, she is holding down food (haven't seen her vomit even once yet) and she is urinating as normal.

So we are hoping it is IBD.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeroki
TWRP Alpha
TWRP Alpha

PostSubject: Re: Could use a little hope and a little help   Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:09 pm

Another update:

Ginny started eating on her own today! I was expecting to have to syringe feed her for at least a few week but she had other ideas. She wriggled out of my arms while I was syringe feeding her and went after the excess duck cat food I was feeding her. Then she started eating it!

this is the food:

http://www.naturesvariety.com/Instinct/cat/can/duck

Leave it to my cat to pick the expensive stuff that smells like a carcass that was left on the side of the road. But if she is eating it, I could care less about how it smells to me.

The re check at the vets tomorrow is going to be fun fun fun fun fun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Could use a little hope and a little help   

Back to top Go down

Could use a little hope and a little help
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1