The Snows of White Ridge continues an epic, as blessings, changes, and trials alike come to the newly-named White Ridge Pack, and their allies, the Swift River Clan.
The website of the Packs

HomeFAQSearchRegisterUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

Schooling begins...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
NocturneIAm
Loyal Packmate
Loyal Packmate

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2007-08-08

PostSubject: Schooling begins...   Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:35 am

“Be as quiet as you can, Sunspot… Remember, such a tiny creature is far more affected by sound, than us. If you go jumping around, you’ll never catch him.” his gentle voice spoke as I watched the mouse with intent. It squeaked in terror as it tried frantically to free itself from the Beta’s heavy paw.
I nodded, my eyes never leaving the target for a second. Knowing that at any time, it could be set free for me to hunt!
His deep blue eyes blinked as they watched me, not giving any hint to what lay in his mind.
A blur skitted across the ground as the mouse was released! I lunged at it, but in it’s hyped state to save it’s life, seemed to take on almost spirit-like speed as it darted my every move to catch it.

Crow Tears watched closely as the light tan pup dashed around after the mouse, his masked face as steady as stone. She was too reckless. Her eagerness made her forget to watch where her target was going… This was going to be more difficult that he thought…

Sunspot uttered a small growl as the mouse turned for the safety of a log. She leaped to pounce, aiming to land in front and catch her pray, but miscalculated…

The Beta stood quickly as a short moment of silence was broken by the soft sound of sobbing. In a few short bounds, the large male had closed the gap between himself and the Alpha’s child. “Sunspot, are you alright?” he asked, expecting to see a scrape or something to that effect after the pup had come to a stop by the rotting log. Shining Sun wouldn’t be happy even by an accident… he knew this was her chosen heir and favored of the litter…

Sunspot turned her face to look up at the Beta, tears rolling off her face as her ears turned back against her head. Crow Tears lowered his head to look over the pup, again asking if she was hurt. Sunspot slowly shook her head and stepped back, her tail limp as she looked to the ground where a tiny body lay crushed and almost unrecognisable.
“I…I couldn’t stop…I didn’t want him to escape under…under the log.” She explained under a wash of tears that led to hiccups.
A soft smile slipped to the face of the male, a sigh of relief escaping as he put his paw around the child, “It’s ok…” he cooed as she sobbed and pressed her face to his leg, “It was an accident…”
“I KILLED HIM!” Sunspot yelled, not wanting to accept what she had done. Crow Tears held her, wishing he could undo her mistake, “We have to kill to survive… And you Did succeed in catching your pray, Sunspot…” He leaned down, and softly licked away at her face, trying to clean away the paths her tears had streaked over her face.
“I think we’ve done enough practice for today…” Come. Your mother said she wanted to see you when we were done…”
The pup slowly nodded, gulping down her sorrow, and followed the Beta back to the den.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FaunaMyth
Dedicated Saga Member
Dedicated Saga Member

Number of posts : 364
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Schooling begins...   Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:19 pm

Little Creek lay in the sun outside of the den when her sister Shining Sun lay sleeping in the dark. They were so different, the younger loving the sunlight, warmth, and the area around her while the elder was too preoccupied with her own thoughts.

The year was just beginning to warm up from winter, and she knew it was the time of year to apprentice the pups, her nephews and nieces. She sighed, she hated the prejudice of looks that had cursed the youngest pup to be not even named properly...for a resemblance to their middle sister Red Falcon, and Little Creek.

Pup currently happened to be cozily curled up beside Little Creek, blissfully unaware of any events that were going to happen.

Little Creek saw Crow Tears and SunSpot approach the den, and saw SunSpot's sorrowfilled-face. Immediately she looked at Crow Tears, wondering what happened. "Come here SunSpot...whatever happened, its alright." She paused before looking at the other wolf. "Whatever happened, Shining Sun will not be happy...i wonder who'll end up with which pup?" Her voice was soft, not meant for the pups to hear.

ooc: Here's a picture of Shining Sun : http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif
I've got one of Little Creek too if you want it Razz
For the pups, i'm trying to consider who to apprentince each too, so Crow Tears may end up mentoring SunSpot with a hovering Shining Sun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NocturneIAm
Loyal Packmate
Loyal Packmate

PostSubject: Re: Schooling begins...   Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:55 am

Crow Tears lead the youngster to the den, where he paused a short distance from Little Creek. His blue eyes watching as the child slipped to her aunt, head low and not really wanting to meet her eyes.
“We had a small accident with her hunting lesson.” Explained the Beta gently, while Sunspot huffed and curled up by her sister, nosing her in the ear…
The soft spoken question had started the male’s mind working on the situation. He didn’t always agree to the methods of the Alpha, but all the same, the pups were in need of apprenticing. “I’m not sure… Pup does have a knack for hunting… At least more than some.” The last bit he all but whispered, not wanting to hurt Sunspot’s feelings any more than the pup felt already. All young wolves had to be taught to hunt for themselves, even if they were destined for other roles in the pack. The skills would save their lives should they find themselves alone for any reason.
Blue eyes softening a bit as he stepped closer to the younger sister, “The Alpha wanted me to bring Sunspot, once her lesson for the day was done. Is she in?”

OOC: Thanx so much and yes, I would love Little Creek as well Smile
PM me any plans or plotting we need to think out for the pups. Think it could be interesting if both mother and Beta could share time in teachings, seeing as they might have different views on certain things? Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FaunaMyth
Dedicated Saga Member
Dedicated Saga Member

PostSubject: Re: Schooling begins...   Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:28 pm

Little Creek frowned. SunSpot, having trouble with hunting? It boded ill for her. The alphess had to be a skilled wolf, not one to rely on others, although she knew her sister would disregard that. She gave SunSpot a slight comforting nudge as Pup slept on, only twitching a bit at the nosing.

Her eyes, green unlike Shining Sun and SunSpot's gold eyes and like Pup's eyes, looked up at Crow Tears.
"Yes, she's in. " She nudged both pups for them to rise. "Come now you two, its alright SunSpot, you're mother wants to see you."

Pup looked at her sad looking sister and wondered what had happened, but kept her mouth shut and padded after her aunt into the caves.

ooc: Here's Little Creek : http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif
And yeah, i think they probably would. *goes to PM*
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NocturneIAm
Loyal Packmate
Loyal Packmate

PostSubject: Re: Schooling begins...   Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:40 am

The Beta nodded. Stepping towards the children, he leaned to whisper to Sunspot, "Be brave, and put on a smile... You don't want to worry your mother, now do you?"
Sunspot shook her head and tried to smile. The Beta licked the pup on her nose, hoping to spark a real smile. Turning towards the caves, he thanked the younger female before making his way inside.
Crow Tears paused, waiting for Little Creek and the pups to catch up, before announcing themselves to the Alpha.
"Lady Shining Sun..." He voiced gently, "Your daughter has completed her lesson for today... You requested our presence once done."
He would fill in the details later to the pup's young aunt. She needed to know what happened. Her mother didn't need to know the finer details... not yet.
The male's blue eyes looked down to the children, making sure they had cleared their faces. Sunspot stuck close to her sibling, their bond comforted her as she waited for her mom.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FaunaMyth
Dedicated Saga Member
Dedicated Saga Member

PostSubject: Re: Schooling begins...   Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:04 pm

Little Creek stood silent, and a bit aloof. Pup however was silent, but jumping inside, waiting to hear what her apprentinceship was to be.

Shining Sun heard their pawsteps, and stood up as they appeared and her Beta announced them. Her eyes turned from the wolves to her eldest and youngest pup.
Who to send each too...
Her eyes met her youngest daughter's green eyes first and she firmly said
"Pup. You will be trained as a hunter by Crow Tears. "
Pup nodded with a grin and restrained her emotion until she could run outside, she liked the Beta.
Then her eyes met the golden ones so like her own, and her voice carried loud and proud as she said "SunSpot, you are my heiress. The next alphess of the Light Valley Pack! I will train you myself, but "she paused and looked at Crow Tears "If i ever do not have time, i expect you can join in lessons with your sister and Crow Tears".
A slight smile signaled that her reason for the meeting was over, and Little Creek returned the nod, and quickly went outside to sit in the sun, Pup beating her there and running around her aunt yipping in happiness.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NocturneIAm
Loyal Packmate
Loyal Packmate

PostSubject: Re: Schooling begins...   Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:24 pm

Crow Tears looked down to the child and nodded, more than happy to continue schooling Pup to be a great hunter.
Sunspot beamed in awe. She was going to rule! AWESOME!!!
“It would be a pleasure on me, ma’lady.” The Beta replied, turning to leave with the Alpha’s younger sister and the over excited Pup.
Sunspot yipped and barked as she stayed by her mother, jumping and running in front of her. “When can we start? What do I learn first? I can’t wait!”
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FaunaMyth
Dedicated Saga Member
Dedicated Saga Member

PostSubject: Re: Schooling begins...   Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:35 pm

Shining Sun chuckled, not noticing the other wolves taking their leave, or anything but her daughter. "Patience, patience! You will be sent out often to learn from everyone and about our land and pack life. The job of the alphas is to lead, guide, and care for their pack. You have to know the pack to do that. Today, i want to be sure you know the strict rules of hunting, likely enough what you're sister'll be learning, but you must learn the rules of our borders as well. To begin, do you have any ideas as to what i'm asking you?" the alphess was silent as she waited for her heiress to speak, this lesson would take time as it was a lot of information to know at once.

Pup raced around in the sun, too happy to even think of asking when her lessons would start, she was still a pup. Her aunt lay just out of the sun, in shade that was still warm. Little Creek was not sleeping, simply staring at the ground in front of her and thinking of what it might be like if Shining Sun had never gotten the chance to rule...if Red Falcon had never left for whatever reason she had. Little Creek was sure it had been a good reason to leave behind her family.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NocturneIAm
Loyal Packmate
Loyal Packmate

PostSubject: Re: Schooling begins...   Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:50 pm

Her excitement ground to a flat halt at the mention of learning hunting. She pouted, resisting going back out the learn with the Beta again. "I need to know everything and everyone in the pack... What they do and where our borders are..." Sunspot replied quickly, "I have to learn to be the best!" But can I start with something today? Anything but hunting... I kind of had enough of chasing mice for one day!" The pup kept her face calm, not wanting anyone else to know of her embarrassment...

"Little Creek..." his gentle voice spoke, as the gray toned male stepped close to where the young female had rested herself. He wasn't sure why he wanted to talk... or even about what!
His hesitation had already changed his mind. He could see her own mind was also hard at work. With a grunt of anguish, the Beta turned, calling to Pup as he began walking away...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FaunaMyth
Dedicated Saga Member
Dedicated Saga Member

PostSubject: Re: Schooling begins...   Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:04 pm

Shining Sun's face became sterner. "SunSpot. I did not ask you to learn how to hunt, i said the rules of hunting. What type of prey we hunt, and which we avoid. " She smilied though, not wanting to bring the pup down. "You are right though, you must know the pack well as the borders. As an alpha i help check the borders and make sure our territory is safe. " She paused, before continuing. "Fear not my little one, you won't have to hunt at all for a while, that is not to be your place. Do you have a better idea of how to answer?"

Pup had tired herself, and stood panting beside her aunt before curling up for a nap, just a light sleep in case she was supposed to start learning now.
Little Creek was brought from her thoughts by Crow Tears. However, by the time she looked up the Beta had started trying to get Pup's attention. She chuckled. "Let her sleep, she'll be useless for now, too tired and excited. " She smilied with a glance at the pup before turning her eyes back to the Beta. "I heard you, you know. I wasn' that lost in my thoughts. Was there something you wanted to say or did you forget it?" Her voice was light, joking. she somtimes found the Beta a bit mysterious and her didn't seem as dedicated to her sister as he seemed with all his proper addressings.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NocturneIAm
Loyal Packmate
Loyal Packmate

PostSubject: Re: Schooling begins...   Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:22 pm

"Well, I know that when hunting, the group needs to work as a team to bring down large prey... same as a pack needs to work together to accomplish things the are hard. All members of the hunt must agree on the same target, otherwise it won't work. And it's easier to bring down a young, injured or older animal, than trying to take on the herd's leader..." Sunspot stated, her mind stating to see similarities between a hunt and the workings of a pack.
Her mother's words did bring a smile back to her face... She wouldn't have to hunt? Good!

The Beta was already a few feet away, when Little Creek spoke. Pausing, he looked back over his shoulder to see the child curled up and not likely to move... He huffed a sigh, almost grateful that he could have a break too from teaching. Blue eyes then lifted to meet the green of the female. At first he didn't say anything, looking either stumped at her joke or not sure how to answer, "I..." She did need to know about what had happened that morning... he thought, not wanting to think of why he felt both drawn to and awkward when he found himself alone in the presence of her... "I should tell you about Sunspot." His voice soft, so not to be overheard by others, including the Alpha.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FaunaMyth
Dedicated Saga Member
Dedicated Saga Member

PostSubject: Re: Schooling begins...   Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:04 pm

Little Creek's smile faded. "Yes..what happened to the poor thing? She looked distraught." Her voice was soft as well, although more because she didn't want to wake Pup then because she was worried about her sister.

Shining Sun smilied approvingly. Her daughter would learn fast.
"Very good SunSpot! There are, however, more reasons as to why we do not hunt the strongest then simply safety. If we hunted while avoiding any chance of danger we would live on rabbits."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NocturneIAm
Loyal Packmate
Loyal Packmate

PostSubject: Re: Schooling begins...   Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:18 pm

He would have preferred if they could have had a more private place to talk, but knew they couldn't leave Pup unwatched.
Moving closer, Crow Tears continued while his ears pricked on alertness for Shining Sun. "The child doesn't watch her target properly... she had an accident when she tried to catch the mouse today. The poor thing was crushed...it's body smeared over the ground, when she tried to jump in front of it. I've never seen Sunspot so distraught over a kill before... But please, don't let on I told you."

"But aren't hunting rabbits more difficult? They are so fast! What are the other reasons?" Sunspot asked, tilting her head in confusion as she leaped to prop her front paws against her mother's chest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FaunaMyth
Dedicated Saga Member
Dedicated Saga Member

PostSubject: Re: Schooling begins...   Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:36 pm

Little Creek's mouth opened slightly to form an 'o' for a moment. "Oh...i can't believe it. Of course if Shining Sun finds out, it won't be from me. I don't pick favorites and wouldn't get SunSpot in trouble." Her head hung down and rested on her paws. "She'll have to learn, but i'll bet Shining Sun either won't know or won't put a priority on it." Her voice was a whisper just loud enough for Crow Tears to hear. I can't believe it...No wonder...Poor SunSpot. A first kill...smashed. A clean kill is much less disturbing, and so young. She hoped SunSpot would get over it and not let it bother her. The she-wolf sighed and softly said "Thank you Crow Tears. For telling me. There was no reason for me to know except that she's my niece. I'm sure it was shocking when it happened."

"Yes, they are more difficult for all but the best hunters. " The alphess told her daughter. "Their speed and odd running pattern is very distracting and frustrating. They do not, however, have a way to hurt us like deer hooves." Shining Sun paused. "We hunt the weakest so that the strongest may live on, and their young, or that they might grow old and sick and then they or their young may become our food, instead of risking danger that may harm the hunter then, and the pack later."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NocturneIAm
Loyal Packmate
Loyal Packmate

PostSubject: Re: Schooling begins...   Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:34 pm

"You are the one these kids look up to..." He replied flatly at her words of there being no reason for her to know, "And I think you would have a better head on how to help her. Every wolf needs to know how to hunt... it'll be disastrous if she fails that skill because of this..."

"But won't there be better meat on a stronger animal? The young ones are nice, but the old are very tough..." Sunspot huffed, not fully getting why they couldn't have a better choice. "What else about hunting is there?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FaunaMyth
Dedicated Saga Member
Dedicated Saga Member

PostSubject: Re: Schooling begins...   Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:47 pm

Little Creek chuckled coldly. "Thank you, but SunSpot isn't my apprentice for a reason, the same Pup isn't. Our alphess doesn't trust her sister any more than she trusted our other sister. " Her voice softened. "I'll try to help you teach her when she's in your care for tutoring though if you want. You're right, she can't grow up spoiled and learning from words instead of experience."

Shining Sun shook her head. She'd learn. "Simply judging distance and speed. You are very right, cooperation is needed as well. " She thought for a moment. "Now, more about the borders. What do you know relating to them?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NocturneIAm
Loyal Packmate
Loyal Packmate

PostSubject: Re: Schooling begins...   Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:13 pm

Crow Tears nodded in agreement. He knew all to well how the Alpha felt to her sisters... "It would be appreciated, Little Creek. You need to keep that bond with the pups... Don't let Shining Sun turn you into a loner." He smiled softly in sympathy for the red-brown female. Her softness made her more beautiful than her paler sister...
He stiffened abruptly as he found himself staring into her green eyes, deciding it would be best to take his leave... "I will be back later for, Pup, to teach her." He stated, bowing lightly before turning.

Sunspot grimaced at that... not quite getting the hang of Those skills yet.
"I know they need to be checked by you, daddy and Beta Crow Tears, every day... You take turns..." Truth was, she really didn't know where the borders were, other than the one by the thorn grove...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FaunaMyth
Dedicated Saga Member
Dedicated Saga Member

PostSubject: Re: Schooling begins...   Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:47 pm

Little Creek smilied as he spoke. "Don't worry Crow Tears, i'm a pack wolf. " As the Beta walked away she lay her head on her paws and let the slight breeze put her in a light sleep that she awoke from momentarily whenever Pup turned in her sleep.

"They are checked to keep our borders safe." Shining Sun told the pup. " The meeting place is in the center of our territory, that being the safest places. The borders mark the end of our land, and you must never venture past them. If you met any other wolves you would not be safe from them, here they have a pack to fear."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NocturneIAm
Loyal Packmate
Loyal Packmate

PostSubject: Re: Schooling begins...   Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:13 pm

Sunspot nodded as she listened to the Alpha, taking in every word. Her eyes widened in terror at the thought of being attacked by other wolves... "But why would they want to hurt us?" I know our pack is strong... But why would we want to fight with other wolves? I mean I can understand if they tried to hurt us first..."
White tipped ears twitched with her mind racing at the 'what if's' and other questions her imagination played out for her.
"Where does our territory end, mom?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FaunaMyth
Dedicated Saga Member
Dedicated Saga Member

PostSubject: Re: Schooling begins...   Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:32 pm

Shining Sun replied bluntly. "Packs protect their territory, but some try to get more by fighting for it, especially if they need more hunting space. There are many reasons for trouble SunSpot. Our terriory ends by the grove of thorns to the east, the end of the forest to the south, past the river to the north, and before the lake to the west. Take care to watch where you are whenever you wander."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NocturneIAm
Loyal Packmate
Loyal Packmate

PostSubject: Re: Schooling begins...   Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:39 pm

"So, the thorn grove, edge of the forest, the river and the lake..." Sunspot listed off to herself. "I'll take care mom..."
Taking a seat, the pup scratched at her shoulder, wondering what else she'd need to learn...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FaunaMyth
Dedicated Saga Member
Dedicated Saga Member

PostSubject: Re: Schooling begins...   Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:43 pm

Shining Sun quickly went through her mind of what else the pup could learn today before dismissing her. "Thats all for today SunSpot. Crow Tears shouldn't be too far away, tell him our lessaon for today is done."

Outside, Pup was waking up and nudging her aunt, who had fallen into a bit deeper sleep, to wake up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NocturneIAm
Loyal Packmate
Loyal Packmate

PostSubject: Re: Schooling begins...   Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:54 pm

Sunspot nodded, getting up again. With a loving brush against her mother's leg, the pup left to find the Beta...
She noticed her sister nudging their aunt, glad that Pup was still here... "Hey, Pup" she called, inside smiling to herself that she had some time to spend with her sister.
The heiress (she thought that was so COOL!) knew she had been told to find the Beta to continue training, but really didn't want to go... There were much more fun things to do, than chasing mice...
A second lingered on the memory of the squished mouse from that morning made her shudder. Shaking it off, Sunspot trotted to help Pup wake auntie Little Creek.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FaunaMyth
Dedicated Saga Member
Dedicated Saga Member

PostSubject: Re: Schooling begins...   Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:10 pm

"C'mon Auntie!" Pup said, while bumping her head against her aunts paw. She spotted her sister coming and called " Hi SunSpot!"

Little Creek blinked sleepily. "W-what?" She saw both pups, one nudging her, the other walking over. "I'm up, i'm up..." She looked at SunSpot. "Hey little heiress! Lesson up already?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NocturneIAm
Loyal Packmate
Loyal Packmate

PostSubject: Re: Schooling begins...   Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:20 pm

Sunspot puffed out her chest with pride, "Yip... All done for today, auntie Little Creek." she replied, coming to a halt by Pup's side. "Mom taughed me about the borders and hunting rules..." Why are you so tired?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Schooling begins...   

Back to top Go down

Schooling begins...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next